NorthstarMLS subscribers should feel comfortable sharing listing information with their clients, knowing they are not promoting another agent or service. The public remarks field is available on customer reports and to broker and agent websites. It’s important that this field not be used for advertising agents, builders or any third party.
The fields designated as public fields include: Public Remarks, Open House Remarks, Public Supplements, Virtual Tours and Driving Directions. The Public Remarks fields should be used to describe only the property, its vicinity, and any incentives provided by the seller to the buyer specifically related to the property.
Common mistakes include:
- Do not add the listing agent’s name, contact info, or any agent, broker or third party promotional material (such as incentives to use a mortgage or title company).
- Unbranded virtual tours are the only allowed web link in the virtual tour field. The tour must only describe the property for sale and its vicinity and cannot link out to another site.
- You may list the name of the builder or brand names (for example “Acme Windows”) only to the extent that it describes the property. It is acceptable to add, “Built by Acme Homes,” but not to add, “Built by Acme Homes—premiere builder of quality homes.”
- Open House information is restricted to the designated fields, not in public remarks.
- Buyer incentives are acceptable when they are from the seller, relate specifically to the property, and would typically be allowed on the HUD statement. Acceptable: Seller will pay $3,000 closing costs or Price Reduced by $15,000. Unacceptable: Seller will give a free HDTV with Blu-ray player. Seller will give a trip to Hawaii. Seller will give a $500 Gift Card.