NorthstarMLS recently negotiated favorable terms for a broker-optional listings data feed to Zillow.com. The decision of whether or not to take advantage of that data feed and send their listings to Zillow.com (or any other third party website) lies solely with the Listing Broker. NorthstarMLS does not endorse Zillow—we merely provide this as a service for brokers who want it.
We emailed details of the optional Zillow data feed to brokers last week along with a tool where they can easily turn their data feed off or on (separately for Active and Pending/Sold listings). This tool is available to them in the “External Links” box on the Matrix home screen.
If you have concerns about your listings going or not going to Zillow.com (or other third party websites), contact your broker to discuss. The choice to send its listings to these sites will always be with the broker, not NorthstarMLS.
Why did we negotiate an optional data feed for brokers with Zillow? Having a data feed through NorthstarMLS allows brokers to have its listings updated with Zillow automatically and on better terms than they may have been able to get on their own.
These terms are:
- Search results will display based on property characteristics, not on paid placement;
- The listing agent’s name, phone number and brokerage will be displayed with the listing. Consumers must be able to contact the listing agent/office via email, telephone or both without charge to the listing office, agent or consumer;
- No consumer comments/blogging will be displayed with the listing;
- Agents will not be reviewed by consumers on Zillow unless the agent opts in through Zillow Profiles;
- The listing data will not be altered;
- Zillow may not charge NorthstarMLS subscribers any fee to display more of the listing data.
Even if the broker has opted into the Zillow syndication feed, the Allow Auto Valuation Field (AVM) selection must be ‘No’. If the homeowner directed that AVMs are not allowed on the property on the Internet Display Options form, NorthstarMLS does not send the listing to Zillow — Zillow includes an AVM.
If you have any questions regarding the Zillow data feed, contact our Help Desk at email@example.com or 651-251-5456 (1-877-251-5455 toll free), M-F 8:00-5:00.